Have ever wondered how digital illustrations are made? This video explains the basics. Help us keep making videos by supporting us in https://www.patreon.com/MinuteEarth
We try to leave jargon out of our videos, but if you want to learn more about this topic, here are some handy keywords to get your googling started:
- A raster graphics image is a digital image made of a grid of pixels
- Software able to edit raster graphics: Photoshop, Corel Painter, GIMP, Krita, etc.
- GIMP is free and open-source. Check them at https://www.gimp.org/
- Krita is also free and open-source. Check them at https://krita.org
- Pixel Art is a form of digital art where images are edited on the pixel level.
- Cross-stitch is a popular form of counted-thread embroidery in which X-shaped stitches in a tiled, raster-like pattern are used to form a picture.
- Vector graphics images are made up of mathematical shapes and can be scaled as much as needed without loss in quality.
- Software able to edit vector graphics: Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw, Inkscape, etc.
- Inkscape is free and open-source. Check them at https://inkscape.org/
- Jaggies is the informal name for artifacts in raster images, most frequently from aliasing.
- Anti-aliasing is the technique of minimizing the distortion artifacts known as aliasing.
- A graphics tablet is a computer input device that enables a user to hand-draw images with a special pen-like stylus, similar to the way a person draws images with a pencil and paper.
- A clipping mask is an object whose shape masks other artwork so that only areas that lie within the shape are visible
- Blend modes (or Mixing modes) in digital image editing are used to determine how two layers are blended into each other. The blending modes I use more frequently are Multiply and Overlay.
Credits (and Twitter handles):
Video concept and Narration by Ever Salazar (@eversalazar)
With Contributions from: Henry Reich, Alex Reich, Kate Yoshida, Omkar Bhagat, Emily Elert, Peter Reich, Rachel Becker, David Goldenberg
Music by: Nathaniel Schroeder: http://www.soundcloud.com/drschroeder
Cross Stitch Pokemon - DeviantArt user MissTetraZelda
Isometric Pixel Art - DeviantArt user RGBfumes
Pixel Art Wallpaper - Flickr user RodrixAP
Vector Corvette Illustration - DeviantArt user troy2007
A big thank-you to our supporters on https://www.patreon.com/MinuteEarth :
- Today I Found Out
- Maarten Bremer
- Jeff Straathof
- Mark Roth
- Tony Fadell
- Muhammad Shifaz
- Alberto Bortoni
- Nicholas Buckendorf
- Antoine Coeur
Like our videos? Subscribe to MinuteEarth on YouTube: http://goo.gl/EpIDGd
Get early, exclusive access to our videos on Vessel: https://goo.gl/hgD1iJ
Support us on Patreon: https://goo.gl/ZVgLQZ
Also, say hello on:
And find us on itunes: https://goo.gl/sfwS6n
Direct download: The_Basics_Of_Digital_Illustration.mp4
-- posted at: 12:00pm EDT