Check out http://www.lynda.com/minuteearth for 10 days of free online courses.
Please support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/minuteearth
Thanks also to our Patreon patrons:
- Nasser Hamed Alminji
- Jeff Straathof
- Maarten Bremer
- Emil Kampp
- Today I Found Out
- Nicholas Buckendorf
- Antoine Coeur
MinuteEarth provides an energetic and entertaining view of trends in earth’s environment – in just a few minutes!
Subscribe to see all our new videos! http://goo.gl/EpIDGd
Created by Henry Reich
With the MinuteEarth team: Alex Reich, Peter Reich, Emily Elert, Ever Salazar, Kate Yoshida, and Henry Reich. Music by Nathaniel Schroeder: http://www.soundcloud.com/drschroeder
And follow us on Vessel: https://www.vessel.com/shows/68917745...
And YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/minuteear...
And find us on itunes: https://goo.gl/sfwS6n
Also, say hello on:
Want to learn more about the topic in this week’s video? Here are some key words/phrases to get your googling started:
- Condensation – the process of water molecules glomming together into visible droplets
- Condensation nuclei – tiny solid particles that water vapor condenses onto (also called aerosols)
- Homogenous condensation – condensation without any kind of condensation nuclei
- Dew point – the temperature below which water vapor starts to condense into droplets
- Heterogenous condensation – condensation that happens with the help of condensation nuclei
- Critical Embryo – a cluster of water molecules big enough to easily gain more molecules
- Cloud chamber – a cool thing to check out if you want to build a particle detector at home (it involves pumping a bunch of water vapor into pure air; when a particle passes through, it leaves a streak of ionized water molecules that, in super-saturated air, can act as condensation nuclei!)
Knupp, K. Surface Thermodynamics and Nucleation of Water Droplets and Ice Crystals. Lecture Notes. Retrieved March 2015 from: http://vortex.nsstc.uah.edu/mips/pers...
McDonald, JE (1962) Homogenous Nucleation of Vapor Condensation. I. Thermodynamic Aspects. Institute of Atmospheric Physics, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona.
McDonald, JE (1962) Homogenous Nucleation of Vapor Condensation. II. Kinetic Aspects. Institute of Atmospheric Physics, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona.
Dewdrops - David Saddler
Direct download: ME_56_-_Rains_Dirty_Little_Secret.mp4
-- posted at: 10:00pm EDT